Plymouth Argyle Forum - York match report
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs7%
Mid table26%
Just outside relegation8%
Vital Football Comment
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
York match report
29 November 2014 17:58 Post ID: #71008
A late, late goal from York's Jake Hyde stopped Argyle from picking-up a valuable win.

Hyde pounced in the fourth minute of the third minute of injury time to cancel Bobby Reid's third minute strike for the Greens.

In truth, Argyle should have been home and hosed before Hyde scored but failed to convert several of the chances created.

A 1-1 draw that feels like a defeat and we only have ourselves to blame. We squandered several good chances to have won this game with ease.
Lewis Alessandra, the two Reid's, Kelvin Mellor and Deane Smalley all had opportunities to score but either badly missed, were unlucky or the keeper made a good save.
Apart from the missed chances conceding so much possession to a very good passing team contributed to us not winning the game.

It was an absorbing and entertaining game between two sides who like to play passing football, although on occasions Argyle did hit it long to Reid.

Bobby Reid came back into the team with Anthony O'Connor dropping back into the three man defence to cover for the injured Carl McHugh. Striker Marvin Morgan was a mysterious absentee.

We had the perfect start when Bobby Reid showed some trickery on the right following a corner and his cross took a deflection and sailed over the York keeper and into the far corner of the net to give us a 1-0 lead.

Bobby Reid also had two long range shots, one went wide and the other was saved. He supplied his namesake with a long deep cross that Reuben headed down but the keeper saved again.

As the half wore on we sat back and allowed York to dictate the tempo of the game and they should have scored themselves but Josh Carson shot over from 8 yards out when it looked easier to score.
A fair score at half time would have been 3-1 to Argyle.

The second half was much the same, we played on the counter-attack with Alessandra making some great runs although the flag happy linesman didn't help by ruling for offside when Alessandra clearly wasn't.

A superb cross from Reuben found Mellor who looped the ball over the keeper but it fell agonisingly just wide of the post.

Alessandra was clean through in another Argyle attack but his shot was saved, he really should have buried that chance.

York still enjoyed the greater possession but didn't pose a threat in attack.

We started to wind down the clock in the closing minutes and Mellor won a free-kick and that would surely be the final whistle? Nope, the ref bizarrely awarded the foul the other way and in came the cross, we couldn't clear it and the ball was somehow scrambled over the line in the 4th minute of the three minutes of injury time.

It was a killer blow and the final whistle went straight after the restart.

You have to feel sorry for the defence and the sitting midfielders, they played so well to keep out York but were let down by the wastefulness of the attacking players. We really should have scored the killer second goal, while it was just 1-0 York had a chance and kept going to the end.

O'Connor was superb in the middle of the three man defence, very calm and assured, Luke McCormick was hesitant in coming forward for the ball but still made a couple of good saves.

Bobby Reid had a big impact on the game, he gets the team ticking over with simple short passes or running forward with the ball to gain a quick 20 yards, that said, he should have scored at least two goals today.

Alessandra's running was excellent, his finishing was not so good. Reuben Reid played in fits and starts, anonymous for 10 minutes before bursting to life, he was clearly unhappy at being subbed.

There was a feeling amongst the players that the one goal would be enough, we've made a habit of sitting on one goal leads and winning, today showed we need to break that habit and find a killer instinct upfront.

Overall we played well although we didn't get the goals to reflect that.

McCormick 6, Nelson 7, O'Connor 8, Hartley 7, Mellor 7, Kellett 6, Cox 7, Blizzard 7, B. Reid 7, Alessandra 6, R. Reid 6, Smalley 6.

Sheridan 7.

Entertainment 7.

Man of the match: Bobby Reid.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>