Plymouth Argyle Forum - Wycombe match report 1st leg
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs7%
Mid table26%
Just outside relegation8%
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Wycombe match report 1st leg
09 May 2015 22:56 Post ID: #71239
Wycombe looked to be on course for an easy 3-0 win until a late come back by Argyle, inspired by the Home Park crowd, secured two goals to make it 3-2.

What an incredible game of football!

We were dead and buried at 3-0, the tie was over and Wycombe were on their way to Wembley but spurred on by the crowd Zak Ansah pulled a goal back and suddenly their was belief.
With the crowd right behind the team Jason Banton toe poked home a second and incredibly the Wembley dream is still alive.
Crucially, we now go into the second tie with the momentum and belief.

In truth, despite a good start all the short comings from this season came home to roost in this one game, although Wycombe were helped by a very poor ref. It's still surprisingly that a referee in his first full season as a ref was selected for this high profile game, thank you very much the Football League!

Credit to Wycombe because they did their homework on us and played with three strikers who pushed right onto our three centre backs giving them no room to play, we just couldn't cope with this tactic and were soon one down.
We didn't clear a cross and the ball was scrambled home by Paul Hayes, of course! Could McCormick have done better?

The big turning point of the game and possibly the whole ties was that inexperienced ref Peter Bankes didn't spot an obvious handball in the build up to Wycombe's second goal and the ball was thumped in by Aaron Holloway (of course) from 20 yards. Could McCormick have done better?
The players protested to the ref and Hartley received a yellow card but the ref didn't listen.

From then on it seemed that every decision went Wycombe's way.

We needed a quick goal at the start of the second half but it was Wycombe and their new signing Peter Bankes who scored and seemingly killed the tie. We fell asleep at a quick free kick and Steve Craig slotted home.
What a time to concede three goals for the first time this season.

From then on we looked a shambles. Sheridan changed to 4-4-2 with Ryan Brunt, Banton and Ansah coming on and for a while it didn't make any difference.

With time running out the crowd tried to lift the players and it worked! Ansah thumped in a 20 yarder and the atmosphere went up a notch.
Amazingly upon amazingly Banton pulled another goal back and with six minutes of added time shown Home Park was the nosiest for years and hoping for a third goal.

Wycombe used the black arts, of which they are good at, and wound down the clock with a series of seemingly injured players dropping like flies and finally Peter Bankes blew the whistle and accepted the congratulations from his team mates.

It's a huge disappointment that we didn't turn up for another game, apart from the opening minutes. It's feat or famine, Shrewsbury or Carlisle and it's been the story of our season.

Anthony O'Connor had his worst game since becoming an Argyle player, he was lost in midfield. Lewis Alessandra worked hard but his passing and first touch was woeful.

Even the reliable Luke McCormick had a bad game by his standards and his kicking wa spoor, which is strange considering it's usually excellent.

Gethin Jones played well as a sub against Shrewsbury, adding energy to the team but today he went missing and shouldn't have come out for the second half after picking up an injury.
Reuben Reid shouldn't start the second game, the team need a striker like Brunt or Ansah who can contribute to the general play. We can't keep playing an injured striker just in case he might score.

We didn't test or pressurise the diminutive and inexperienced Wycombe keeper enough.
Wycombe knew the ref didn't have any authority and experience and played him along all game. Argyle should be asking the Football League why such an inexperienced official was put in charge of this type of game.

We got out of jail with those two late goals, surely we can't play as bad in the second leg?
We were tactically exposed in this game, a gripe for most of this season and for large parts of this game it seemed Wycombe wanted it more.

The phone lights from the crowd at the end of the game were amazing.
Don't worry about a thing ......

McCormick 5, Nelson 6, McHugh 6, Hartley 6, Mellor 5, Holmes-Dennis 5, O'Connor 4, B Reid 6, Jones 4, R Reid 4, Alessandra 5, Brunt 6, Ansah 7, Banton 7.

Man of the match: Wycombe striker Peter Bankes played a blinder and had a hand in the second goal.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>