Plymouth Argyle Forum - Crawley match report
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs8%
Mid table25%
Just outside relegation7%
Vital Football Comment
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Crawley match report
03 October 2015 18:00 Post ID: #71429
A 2-1 win against Crawley at Home Park pushed Argyle to the top of League Two.

Just when it looked like we would snatch a draw from the jaws of victory we showed our class and scored a late and very deserved winner to go top of the league and put clear daylight between us and the teams below.

The first half was one of the most one sided 45 minutes you'll ever see and just when it looked like Crawley would hang on until the break Reid finished off a slide rule pass from Carey to give us the lead.
Crawley never really threatened during the second half but there was a nagging doubt that one goal wouldn't be enough and we would rue wasting so many chances and sure enough Crawley scrambled home a late equaliser.
Doom and gloom descended on Home Park but up stepped Carey with a brilliant free kick that the keeper could only parry and Boateng tapped home the rebound in the 89th minute. Home Park erupted!

It's also the first home league game that we had more possession than the opposition after achieving that feat just once last season.
The game wasn't helped by a poor set of officials, the ref was too card happy and had a habit of getting in the way of play while Crawley's goal game from a free-kick that should have been awarded to us except the linesman gave it the other way. Sawyer and McHugh picked up yellow cards and will miss the JPT game against Exeter, which is no bad thing because league games are the priority.

There was also the usual slipping and sliding of players early in the second half after the pitch received a half time sprinkler deluge.

McHugh surprisingly recovered from his injury and took his place in the team at the expense of Simpson who dropped to the bench, Cox was absent from the squad.

Apart from the first five minutes the first half belonged to Argyle with wave after wave of attacks coming at the Crawley defence, we were helped by Crawley playing a high line in defence which gave us several opportunities to get behind them and that's exactly what Wylde did.
It's difficult to say if his crosses deserved better or should he have picked out a player? Either way, most of Wylde's crosses rolled along the penalty area with no Green shirt near the ball.

Chances fell to Hartley, who headed wide from a corner, and to Reid who just couldn't get on the end of a Wylde cross.
Mellor also joined in the fun but couldn't get a long leg on the end of another cross to the far post.
Carey had a spectacular volley zip just wide, he received a long ball from McHugh in a wide position and hit the ball first time, if that had gone in it would be goal of the season.

It seemed our best chance of a goal would come from the left with Wylde causing all sorts of problems but with half time approaching all the attacks might just count for nothing.
In the 43rd minute Carey put in a superb slide rule pass to Reid (if that pass was on Match of the Day the pundits would be drooling over it), he was clean through on-goal and cooly slotted home with the Crawley defenders appealing for off side.
One nil and no more than we deserved.

The second half was a bit different because we were content to contain Crawley and hit them on the counter attack.
Walton came on for Crawley and received good applause, he's a "big" player for Crawley!

Again Crawley never really threatened and the game entered into a lull.
Adams changed things around by replacing Jervis with Simpson and Carey going out wide right, this strengthening of the midfield allowed Boateng to get further forward.
Wylde was later replaced by Brunt with Carey now moving to the left side.

The linesman awarded a free-kick to Crawley that should have been a Green ball, the cross came into the Argyle area and the ball was headed against a post leaving McCormick scrambling, it looked like we had got way with that but Deacon was on hand to shoot over the line. 1-1 and a soft goal to concede.

It looked like we had thrown everything away, all the attacking in the first half and the chances missed had come back to haunt us.

Except this team never gives up and Carey struck a fantastic free-kick that was saved and Boateng tapped in the winner and up to the top of the league we go!

It's difficult to pick a man of the match, every player had a good game and the work ethic and chasing down was faultless. For all his skill and creativity Carey also works hard for the team, springing from one Crawley player to another to close them down.

McHugh made a huge difference to the team and his passing was almost perfect, something he's not known for. He also brings good heading ability to the midfield and brings the best out of Boateng who looks an even better player with McHugh alongside him.

Reid had a very good game, form is temporary, class is permanent.

The back four were solid apart from that one blip for the goal.

Overall, another enjoying game of attacking and passing football.

Man of the match: Carey.

McCormick 7, Mellor 7, Nelson 7, Hartley 7, Sawyer 7, McHugh 7, Boateng 7, Carey 8, Jervis 7, Wylde 7, Reid 7, subs - Simpson 6, Brunt 6.

Goals: Reid 43, Boateng 89. Deacon 85.

Attn: 7,173
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>