Plymouth Argyle Forum - Carlisle match report - FA Cup
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs8%
Mid table25%
Just outside relegation7%
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Carlisle match report - FA Cup
07 November 2015 17:56 Post ID: #71474
Argyle crash out of the FA Cup after a 2-0 defeat against Carlisle United at Home Park.

First half goals from Antony Sweeney and Hallam Hope gave the Cuimbrians a deserved First Round win.

It was a bad day at the office for the Greens.

We were lethargic and sloppy from the first whistle and didn't manage a single effort on target.
The 2-0 scoreline could have been a lot worse if it was wasn't for three superb last ditch tackles and blocks from Curtis Nelson during the first half.
Credit to Carlisle for their first half performance, they closed us down, hassled us and whenever Carey had the ball two or three Carlisle players were quickly around him.

The match officials didn't help the game, the ref was too quick to book Carl McHugh, Graham Carey and Kelvin Mellor and the day could have been a disaster if one of them picked up a second yellow, meanwhile Carlisle players committed similar fouls but didn't get booked.

On the plus side it's not three league points dropped and it's best to get this type of poor performance out of the way in a cup competition because everyone accepts the league is the priority.

For the first half we persisted on playing long balls to Ryan Brunt who struggled against the Carlisle centre-backs, the tactic wasn't working and yet it continued.

Whenever McHugh, Josh Simpson or Carey had the ball they immediately had a Carlisle player closing them down stopping them from looking up and passing forward, the result of this was passes back to Nelson and Hartley who would play the long ball to Brunt. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Jake Jervis and Craig Tanner, again on the opposite wings which favours their stronger foot, were virtual spectators.

Carlisle deserved their first goal when we failed to deal with a free-kick into the box and Sweeney did well to volley home.

Carey had a snap shot that flew just wide and that was about it from our first half attacking play.

The second Carlisle goal was a counter attack, Luke McCormick pulled off a great save but the ball fell to Hope who thumped in the ball, this time Nelson couldn't pull off one of his miracle tackles.
Derek Adams changed the formation to 4-4-2 with Carey on the right, Tanner on the left and Jervis through the middle with Brunt.

This line-up stayed the same for the second half and we started the second 45 very well and finally showed some urgency and momentum, Carlisle expected this and slowed the game down at every opportunity, the crowd were now vocal and behind the team but despite this we still couldn't create a clear cut chance.

Once Carlisle had weathered the storm the stadium went very quiet as though the fans and players knew it just wasn't our day. Time wasting and Carlisle players dropping down injured at every opportunity was the theme for the second half.

Adams did finally make some substitutions and brought on firstly Gregg Wylde and then Oscar Threlkeld and Tyler Harvey but it was too late.

There were some boos at the final whistle which is a huge shame, fans were obviously disappointed but this team is pulling up trees in the league and deserve better from some sections of the fanbase.

Nelson was our best player, his tackles and runs forward were a feature of our play, Carey tried to get the team moving forward although often he would waste a pass and on one occasion was in a good position to cross into the area but didn't trust his right foot and tried to switch to his left foot and the chance was gone.

McHugh and Simpson really struggled against the Carlisle midfielders and most of their passes were back to Nelson or Peter Hartley.

Tanner and Jervis didn't see a lot of the ball, Brunt worked hard and was helped when Jervis played alongside him, Mellor and Gary Sawyer had similar games - some good play followed by making a mistake.

The curse of the Manager of the Month continues.

Forget this game and move on.

Man of the match: Nelson.

McCormick 6, Mellor 5, Nelson 7, Hartley 6, Sawyer 5, McHugh 4, Simpson 4, Carey 6, Jervis 5, Tanner 5, Brunt 5. Subs - Wylde 5, Harvey n/a, Threlkeld n/a.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>