Plymouth Argyle Forum - Leyton Orient match report
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs8%
Mid table25%
Just outside relegation7%
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Leyton Orient match report
24 November 2015 23:09 Post ID: #71500
Injury hit Argyle score a late equaliser against Leyton Orient to grab a point and remain top of League Two.

It was a game we looked like losing, could have won but then had to settle for a point.

A good first half performance was blighted by conceding an early goal, for the second half we huffed and puffed and struggled to create chances and got the equaliser against the run of play and should have been awarded the most obvious penalty ever seen at Home Park.
In the end a draw is a fair result, even slightly a bonus and a get out of jail free card, however the whole game was overshadowed by the poor performance from the referee.
The name Andy Woolmer will send a shiver down the backs of fans of League One and Two football and that concern proved correct again. He's never far from controversy and in this game missed an obvious corner for Argyle, allowed Orient to time waste as soon as they scored their early goal, never let the game flow and then missed Jake Jervis being pulled down in the penalty area late in the game.
The whole stadium joined in the chant "shit referee".
Woolmer wasn't helped by his linesmen, who just seem to be there to flag for throw-ins and offside.

Carl McHugh came back into the team at the expense of Josh Simpson and in the first minute the match was delayed due to an injury to Christian Walton who fell awkwardly onto his shoulder.
As soon as play resumed Orient were winning one nil and another goal where a player is allowed too much space on the edge of the area. Jay Simpson skipped past the defenders with ease and beat Walton with an 18-yard shot, simple from Simpson and a poor start from Argyle.

From that moment Orient went into Stevenage mode and wasted time at every opportunity, their poor players dropped down as though shot by a sniper in the stands, the ref calls on the physio, who obviously is never ready and any momentum from Argyle is lost.
Goal kicks and throw-ins took an eternity to happen, Woolmer did tell the Orient players to hurry up but never followed up with a yellow card.

Graham Carey had some long range shots that flew wide or high of the target as Argyle were playing some good stuff without really threatening the Orient keeper.
Another game and another injury, this time it's Oscar Threlkeld who took a bad tackle from Simpson, off he went and was replaced by Josh Simpson.

It was the sub who had the best chance of the half following a clever flick from Jervis but somehow Simpson smashed his shot high and wide when it would have been easier to hit the target.
Despite playing well for the majority of the first 45 minutes Argyle ended the half 1-0 down.

The second half saw more of Orient catching us on the break as we pushed forward. We had plenty of the ball but never created chances, any moves would break down and end up with the Orient strikers running at our defence.
Even when we had the ball in midfield Orient would close us down and the ball would go backwards, even as far back as Walton much to the displeasure of the fans.

Walton kept us in the game with three fantastic saves, including two in quick succession, we really should have been dead and buried. The confidence had gone from the players, some went missing and the team looked a pale shadow of the one that has dominated League Two.
Ryan Brunt entered the game at the expense of Gregg Wylde and the formation changed to 4-4-2 with Carey on the left.

But this team isn't beaten until the final whistle and despite playing poorly showed good character by grabbing a late equaliser against the run of play.
A Craig Tanner free-kick broke to Nelson and from a tight angle he squeezed a shot past the keeper and defender who mistakenly had covered the near post. 1-1 and we are back in the game. Our first goal this season from a centre-back.

Now it was all Argyle except Mr Woolmer wanted to take centre-stage. Jervis had his shirt almost pulled off him as he fell to the ground, everyone could see it except the ref and he waved "play-on".
From that moment every decision went the way of Orient and there was rage and anger from the Green Army towards the ref.
Fans except referee's will make mistakes, that's part of football, however this incident was so obvious it makes you wonder how the ref didn't see it.

After that we tried to get the winning goal but Orient were very clever in keeping the ball down the Barn Park End and settled for the draw.

The draw stops the recent rot and keeps the chasing back two points behind, on another day with another referee we could have won this game, even with so many players missing.

Orient seem a typical League Two team, big and strong at the back, a robust midfield and pace up front and masters of the black arts.

Jervis and Simpson were very disappointing, admittedly the service to Jervis wasn't the best but he didn't give the team a focal point. Over the last few games Simpson has been playing on auto pilot, what must Lee Cox do to get a game?

McHugh did what he does best - break up play, give the defence some protection and play the simple pass.
Walton had a very good game with his hands, his catching and saves earned us a point, although he's not so good with his feet and they need recalibrating to keep the ball in play.

Nelson held the defence together and is a colossus for the team, Luke Croll had a quiet game, almost anonymous and is not a defender who will attack the ball.

It was a pity that Wylde was subbed, his pace was causing problems but manager Derek Adams needed to change things and someone had to be sacrificed.

Overall, we were inconsistent, it's a point that so easily could have been zero or 3.

Man of the match: Nelson.

Walton 7, Mellor 5, Nelson 7, Croll 5, Sawyer 6, McHugh 6, Threlkeld 6 (Simpson 4), Carey 6, Wylde 6 (Brunt 5), Tanner 5, Jervis 4.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>