Plymouth Argyle Forum - Yeovil match report
Vital Football

Latest Plymouth Argyle News

Plymouth Argyle Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Finishing position in League One?
Suggested By: Plymouth Vital
Automatic promotion8%
Play offs15%
Just outside play offs7%
Mid table26%
Just outside relegation8%
Vital Football Comment
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Yeovil match report
24 February 2016 01:06 Post ID: #71597
A lacklustre display from Argyle against an improving Yeovil Town side ended 0-0 at Huish Park.

Overall it was not good enough from the Greens in front of 2,133 members of the Green Army, although it has to be remembered Yeovil have become a difficult team to beat.

There were too many mistakes and indecision from Argyle especially in the first half. We were slow to the ball and Yeovil were easily the better team.
Gregg Wylde is so often our main attacking threat on the left wing but he was marked out of the game and when he did break free his crosses missed their target.
Graham Carey and Jake Jervis were largely anonymous and Carey's only first half contribution was a shot that flew just wide.

Yeovil looked determined and were quick to close us down and had a good shout for a penalty when a shot hit the and of Peter Hartley.
Despite our poor performance and Yeovil's attacking enterprise the half time score was 0-0 so it was a relief that we were not losing.

For the first 10 minutes of the second half it was much better mainly due to the introduction of Kelvin Mellor who's first touch was a shot on goal followed by a good cross to Carey who headed over.
Mellor had replaced Jordan Forster at right-back who after a promising debut against Mansfield has really struggled in the two following games.

Reuben Reid replaced Wylde which was surprising because Wylde always provides danger and width, Reid did make an initial impression and then faded.
We huffed and puffed for most of the second half but even that was better than that awful first half.

It might have been worth throwing on Daniel Nardiello late in the game for the tiring Ryan Brunt otherwise what was the point in signing him. A situation like this was perfect for a goal poacher.

Carey was very disappointing, nothing went right for him. Jervis lacks bottle and is a shadow of the player pre-Christmas.

Curtis Nelson, Hartley and Oscar Threlkeld had good games and kept us competitive.
Luke McCormick made a great save late in the second half but is still reluctant to dominate his area at corners and crosses.

On the plus side it's another unbeaten game on the road and a point to add to the total. Sometimes when not playing well a team needs to dig in and not get beaten, we did that tonight.

Where do we go from here? The pressure is now on because goals and goal chances are drying up and teams below us in the League are now starting to win games and put some runs together.
We didn't have one clear cut chance, there were a few half chances but we were not clinical enough.

We have issues upfront if Brunt is off his game. Reid, Carey, Tanner and Jervis have all gone off form at the same time so where do the goals come from?
The Green Army were quiet again, perhaps sensing the team is not firing on all cylinders. Despite the late opening of the turnstiles and the searches some idiot managed to smuggle in a smoke bomb.

Man of the Match: Nelson.

McCormick 6, Forster 4, Nelson 8, Hartley 7, Sawyer 6, McHugh 7, Threlkeld 7, Jervis 4, Carey 5, Wylde 5, Brunt 6. Subs Mellor 7, Reid 5.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Plymouth Argyle Fixtures  >>